When you have a luxury car, you want it to shine on Lakewood streets. When you’re looking for premium car cleaning you may be wondering, “what is car detailing?” or “how to detail a car.” While a typical car wash gives your Genesis a surface level cleaning of dirt and debris, exterior and interior car detailing pays thorough attention to restoring the vehicle from any blemishes or scratches that have accumulated. While we have highly trained professionals at Genesis of Golden for your exterior and interior car detailing needs, the guide below covers how to detail a car. If you’re looking for car detailing prices, be sure to contact our team.
What are Car Detailing Supplies You Need?
If the weather is nice around Westminster, and you have some time on your hands, learning how to detail a car can be a nice DIY task to take on. First, you’ll need some car detailing supplies:
- A variety of small brushes (such as a paintbrush)
- Canned air
- Car-safe cleaner
- Carpet stain cleaner
- Microfiber cloths
- Surface protector for vinyl and leather surfaces
- Upholstery cleaner
- Vacuum cleaner
- Washing mitts
- Window cleaner
Be sure to take a look at the Genesis Accessories or reach out to the Genesis of Golden parts center for floor mats, paint pens, and other convenient accessories.
Interior Car Detailing Steps
Whether you prefer to start from the inside out or vice versa, the steps for how to detail a car are relatively simple. Here are some areas to focus on when taking on the interior of your Genesis G90 or other model:
- Steering Wheel Column: Wipe down the steering wheel column with a cloth to remove dust and use a cleaning solution to remove any stains. After, apply a surface protectant.
- Dashboard and Center Console: Take the small tools and cleaning solution to clean the cracks and crevices in the dashboard and center console, then dry completely with a cloth.
- Door Interior: With a solution made of soap and water, clean the non-carpeted part of the doors and dry them down with a cloth. Then, open the car doors and clean the metal and plastic parts of the door jambs.
- Windows: Using a window-cleaning solution, wash the inside of your car mirrors and dry completely to avoid streaks.
- Upholstery: Vacuum the seats, and take care of any stains with a stain remover and brush. If any cleaner was used on the seats, be sure to let them dry with your car doors open to avoid mildew. Take a look at our other guide for leather upholstery cleaning tips.
- Carpeting: Remove the floor mats and vacuum the interior carpeting. If any stains are found on the carpet or cloth floor mats, use a stain remover and brush to remove them.
Exterior Car Detailing Steps
From the daily commute to your relaxing weekend trips, make your exterior shine on your next cruise around Arvada with these exterior car detailing steps:
- Rigorous Exterior Wash: Similar to a typical car wash, use water, a car-safe washing solution, and microfiber cloths to clean the body of the vehicle.
- Make sure to avoid using household detergents as they can strip the wax on the exterior of the vehicle. Also, it’s a good idea to continually swap out the cloth you are using as the dirt and debris can build up and scratch the vehicle’s surface. Then, dry the vehicle with a dry, clean cloth to avoid streaking.
- Clean the Wheels: To clean the wheels, you can use the same solution used to wash the car or use a solution specially made for wheel care. With a brush, pay extra attention to the grooves and hard to reach places.
- Wax the Exterior: After the exterior wash is completely dry, wax the car using a wax pad. Apply a thin layer of wax to the exterior of the car using small circular motions. Once complete, any excess wax can be removed with a small brush.
Discover Other Service Tips with Genesis of Golden!
If you have any more questions about what car detailing is, and car detailing prices, be sure to contact our team. For all your other service needs, the talented technicians in our service center are ready to assist you with quick and reliable service. Easily schedule your service online, and make sure you take advantage of our service specials.